Monday, September 13, 2010

The positive chicken or the positive egg?

First the winner of last week's contest -- the $10 Amazon gift card (chosen with random.org) -- is Tiffany. Tiffany, e-mail me at jill(at)jilliancantor.com so I can e-mail you the gift card. Thanks to everyone who shared their favorites parts of their job with me. Check out this week's contest on the right sidebar. All you need to do is comment any day this week, or Facebook or Tweet about this blog, and I'll enter you to win a signed advanced copy of THE TRANSFORMATION OF THINGS >>>>

So to start off this week, I've got a question for you. I've gotten a few pieces of good news about my upcoming novel, THE TRANSFORMATION OF THINGS, in the past few weeks. (You can read about some of it on my author blog here, and some I'll share in the next few weeks!). Anyway, I was talking to my friend about it on Friday, and she posed the question of whether I thought all my positive thinking was the cause of the good news. I answered her by saying I wasn't sure if it was the cause, but I certainly have been feeling better, in the mean time, thinking positively.

I thought about it a little bit more over the weekend, and I think it's sort of a chicken and the egg type question. Does positive thinking beget good things happening? Or, because some good things have happened do I now feel more justified in my positive thinking? Can we really get good things by putting good vibes out into the universe?

I think, probably not. But hey, it can't hurt, right?

What do you think? Have you ever seen good things happen after thinking positively? Or vice versa?

7 comments:

  1. Well I believe in that. I remember the law of attraction actually as it says whatever you are thinking it would happen. Like for me I have a vision board and so far slowly one by one it is happening for me. If you are positive, then positive things will happen to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i usually try to think positive because when i don't, i feel that impacts what could happen. like once my mom was running late getting home and i thought she was in a car accident. then she called that she was. thankfully, it was minor. i've changed my ways of thinking after that. i still let myself get carried away and paranoid about bad things, but i try to steer that way of thinking into a positive direction to bring about a positive outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I like the idea of a vision board!

    And Melissa, that is scary! Must think positive thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's a vision board exactly guys -- and how does it work? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think what she meant is a board where she writes down everything she wants to happen and then envisions them happening. I did something similar a few weeks ago (although not a board exactly). Maybe I'll write about that for tomorrow :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's absolutely true. I read that book, The Secret, when it was all the rage a few years ago and I think there really is something to it. Send out good thoughts and you'll get good things in return. When a person thinks only negative thoughts - all they draw towards themselves is negative energy. I've witnessed it firsthand!
    However, I think if you're usually positive and have a few bad days, good can still come out of it.
    Example - I had to take a math test for a college course last night that basically determined whether I passed the class or not. Even though Monday was my birthday (usually cause for having a great day), I was sooo irritible and grumpy because I was so anxious about taking this test. The whole week I was like that - I completely let my anxieties dominate my mood. I thought for sure I was going to fail the test, and in turn, fail the class which would mess up my financial aid. (You can see where the anxiety came from.)
    Anyway, I'm usually a positive person and because of this, I did still hold out a little hope that I would pass. And it must've been that little bit that got me through because as I was on my way home from taking the test, I received a call from my mentor saying I passed it!!!!! SUCH a relief!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! Congrats. Also, I guess I should read The Secret? A bunch of people have mentioned it lately.

    ReplyDelete