Friday, October 22, 2010

Rain, Rain, Glad to See Ya!

Don't forget to leave a comment today (or on any post from this week) and I'll enter you to win my very last ARC of THE TRANSFORMATION OF THINGS. I'll announce the winner on Monday!

Yesterday morning it was raining and cold -- well relatively cold for Arizona. When I grew up in Pennsylvania, I used to hate the rain, and I hated it even more in college when I had to walk every where and it rained what felt like every day.

But now that I've lived in the desert for ten years, I've become one of those strange desert people who actually like the rain, you know, the people I used to roll my eyes at when I first moved here. I like the way the rain sounds on my back patio, soothing somehow, and the way the air feels damp and crisp at the same time, and takes on a certain rainy smell in the desert that it doesn't other places I've lived. This morning, I opened the back door, had an extra cup of coffee, and felt strangely calmed and happy, even despite being cold and soaked from taking older son to school.

I thought about the fact that once something becomes a rarity, the way rain is for me now, we begin to appreciate it more. I'm also pretty sure that I now take sunshine, warm weather, and shorts for granted, but that if I moved somewhere like say, Alaska, I would grow to appreciate them again.

How do you feel about rain? What weather do you hate or love? Do you change your mind about these things depending on where you live?


3 comments:

  1. I love rain. There is nothing I enjoy more than laying down on the couch watching tv huddled under a blanket listening to the rain outside, drifting in and out of conciousness. I live in New Hampshire (always have, probably always will) so I am used to the always changing weather. As much as I love the rain, I hate the snow. I can't think of one single positive thing that comes with snow. I could definitely do without it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a PA transplant to Arizona like you, Jillian, I have a new appreciation for rain as well! Though I am still much more a sun-seeker than a rain enthusiast. That's why I moved here... 38 straight days of no sun in PA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiffany, I hate snow, too! It's one thing I don't miss living in AZ.

    And Melissa, I also would prefer the sun, but those occasional rainy days are much nicer than they used to be.

    ReplyDelete